MHG8199 - Findspot of Neolithic axehead, Mulbuie
The findspot of an axehead of Antrim porcellanite.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
There is a Group IX stone axe from Mulbuie (Millbuie: named centred NH 64 60) in NMAS (Acc No: AF 710). (Group IX comprises objects of porcellanite from Tievebulliagh and Rathlin, Northern Ireland).
Info in TS by P R Ritchie and J G Scott 1981, No. ROS 1; T H McK Clough and W A Cummins 1988. <1>
This object was loaned to Groam House Museum in 2010 by the National Museum of Scotland to form part of a display of objects from the Maclean Collection being put together by the ARCH Display the Past project. Copies of ARCH's display material and images from National Museums Scotland were donated to the HER as part of the project.
The case label for this object reads: "This axe-head was found in Mulbuie, Black Isle. While it is associated with a specific Highland location it was made from porcellanite sourced from Rathlin Island, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland. The material of this axe was identified by thin section analysis in the 1970s. Porcellanite axes are often found to have been re-used and re-ground, so they are often very petite." <2>-<5>
This object has been assigned to a central location in the Millbuie area by RCAHMS. A location in the vicinity of the present Mulbuie Primary School seems more likely. Due to the uncertainty both possible locations are mapped. <6>
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AF 710.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Clough and Cummins, T H McK and W A. 1988. Lists of identifications. 141-264. 240, no. ROS 1.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: ARCH. 2010. ARCH Display the Past Project: Dr William MacLean – a forgotten collector; the man, his sites and finds. ARCH. Yes. Display panel 1 and case label 14.
- <3> Collection/Catalogue: National Museums of Scotland. Catalogue of objects in Maclean Collection 1931. Digital. X.AF 710.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): National Museums Scotland. Images of objects in Maclean Collection. Colour. . Digital. X.AF 707_009201.
- <5> Image/Photograph(s): Cowie, T. Images of objects in Maclean Collection. Colour. . Digital. X.AF 710 (1)-(4).
- <6> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 594 559 (9100m by 8100m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/library/cba/rrs.cfm (View CBA Research Reports on ADS website)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13699 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.