MHG8201 - Cist - Balgoil Belt
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH66SW 10 6112 6165.
A short cist was found in the top of a knoll during ploughing in 1936. It contained one almost complete bell-beaker and base of another.
The beakers are now in NMAS - Acc. No. EG 69-70. The site of cist was indicated to Woodham, by farmer, when he visited site on 23rd September 1954.
J J Galbraith 1937; A A Woodham 1956.
The 'Knoll' at site shown to Woodham may possibly be the remains of a cairn, but without excavation it is impossible to tell whether it is natural or artificial, but it is common for cists to be inserted in natural knolls in this area. The present owner of Findon, on whose property this site falls could not be contacted at the time of field investigation - or at the time of two later visits.
Surveyed at 1/2500 Visited by OS (R B) 24 January 1966.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Galbraith, J J. 1937. 'Short cist and urn found at Findon, Parish of Urquhart, Ross', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 71 1936-7, p.248-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 248-9. 248-9; figs. 1, 2.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. Vol. 2, 521, Nos. 1764-5.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 12, No. 56.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EG 69.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 92.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6111 6165 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||URQUHART AND LOGIE WESTER|
- BEAKER (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13697 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.