MHG8206 - Wester Brae Long Cairn
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
Renewal of Monument Management Plan - Letter received from HS, dated 23/12/02. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 20/02/03
Immediate area of cairn has been cleared of trees, but is heavily covered in heather & other growth, making extent and condition hard to determine. See photos - HAW 10/2002
(NH 6564 6139) Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
This long cairn, oriented ENE-WSW is 85' long and about 38' wide at W end and 48' at E end. It is composed of rounded stones overgrown with moss and turf. A depression near centre suggests that there has been some robbing, but ends appear to be intact, W being 6' high and E 5' high. The cairn stands within the area of a field of small cairns (NH66SE 7). A S Henshall 1963.
Wedge-shaped long cairn, in good condition, as described by Henshall, situated in dense afforestation.
Resurveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 27 January 1966.
No change. Surveyed at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (JB) 11 1 1978.
Woodham, A. A., 1956, A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle, p 78, No. 33 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG72.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 356, ROS 39 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 9, No. 18 (Text/Report). SHG2675.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 18.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 356, ROS 39.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 78, No. 33.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6563 6139 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4559 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4559 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13692 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.