MHG8213 - Former site of Hilton Stone, Invergordon Castle)
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH66NE 11 6948 6928.
(NH 6948 6928) Stone (NR). OS 6" map, (1959)
This was the 'Hilton Stone', a Class II symbol stone (NH87NE 7 ) which had been brought to this site from Hilton of Cadboll.
It was removed 1928, first to British Museum, thence to
NMAS (IB 189). D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931.
No further information. The site of the stone falls on the fairway of a golf-course. Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 March 1966.
First ed OS shows he site of "sculptured stone" in N part of the "American Garden" a woodland. Numerous walks the stone lies to the W of the main path in small open area. - HAW 12/2002
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6947 6927 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SYMBOL STONE (Pictish - 300 AD to 900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13616 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.