MHG8214 - Carn Liath
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- BURIAL (Undated)
Carn Liath (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
Dalmore Cairn was removed c1810. It was about 60ft diameter and 15ft high, and contained a cist, 3.5 x 2.5 x 2ft which survives and is surrounded by a stone wall (Maclean 1874). Maclean presumably refers to Carn Liath although ONB (1874) says that only one large boulder remained, in centre of the enclosure; and makes no mention of a cist, although human remains were found.
Name Book 1874; R Maclean 1886.
Carn Liath, remains of a cairn reduced almost to ground level, planted with trees and surrounded with a modern wall 15m in diameter, is situated in a level pasture field at a height of about 50ft OD. It contains remains of short cist 1.5m x 0.8m x 0.2m high, covered by a large flattish boulder 1.8m x 1m and 0.5m thick.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 23 March 1966.
The site was Scheduled in 1971.
The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016. <1>
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 2, 89 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3350.
Maclean, R, 1886, 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39, 330-1 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1704.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 11, No. 42 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<1> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Amendment to the Schedule of Monuments Feb 2016: SM2970: Carn Liath, cairn, Obsdale (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27176.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclean, R. 1886. 'The Parish of Rosskeen', Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness Vol. 12 1885-6, p.324-39. Trans Gaelic Soc Inverness. 324-39. 330-1.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 11, No. 42.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 2, 89.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amendment to the Schedule of Monuments Feb 2016: SM2970: Carn Liath, cairn, Obsdale. Historic Environment Scotland. 09/03/2016. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6662 6952 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2970 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/designation/SM2970 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13615 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.