MHG8224 - Battle Site, Blair Na Coi
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
Centred 656 521.
(NH 644 502) Site of the Battle of Blairnacoi (NR) AD. 1340.
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
(NH 656 521) A battle is said to have taken place on Blair-na-coi, between MacDonalds of the Isles and inhabitants of Inverness, in 1340. A cairn (NH65SW 7) said to commemorate it lies about 1/2 mile SW of Drumderfit.
NSA 1845; A J Beaton 1885; Name Book 1872.
No local info. Siting not confirmed. Visited by OS (R B) 28 March 1966.
The tradition of the battle may have arisen from the clearance heaps on Drumderfit Hill (See NH65SE 5).
Visited by OS (A A) 11 November 1971.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, A J. 1885. Illustrated guide to Fortrose and vicinity with an appendix on the antiquities of the Black Isle. 58.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Ross and Cromarty, 57.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 17, 57.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6560 5209 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13574 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.