MHG8247 - Arkendeith Tower
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWER (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
NH65NE 2 6959 5606.
Arkendeith Tower (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)
All that remained of Arkendeith Tower, in 1885, was "the lower story, consisting of a strong walled square room, with the arched or vaulted roof of the dungeon still intact."
The name Arkendeith is said to mean 'Black John's Ark' - Black John being a reiver. A J Beaton 1885.
Remains of Arkendeith Tower consist of a small building, 6m square, of which only vaulted basement survives. S and W walls remain to a height of 2.1m, N and E as footings only. The walling of roughly coursed masonry varies between 0.7 - 1m thick. The entrance is in W side and there is a window void in S wall.
Revised at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 21 March 1966.
- --- SHG1200 Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, A J. 1885. 'Notes on Ormond or Avoch Castle, in the Black Isle, Ross-shire, with a plan and section; and notice with drawing of bronze celts found in its vicinity', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 19 1884-5, p.400-5. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 400-5. 405.
- --- SHG2597 Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 14, Ross and Cromarty, 390-1.
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 20, No. 127.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6959 5606 (22m by 23m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5531 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13558 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.