MHG8274 - Hut circle - Mial
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Hut circle, 6m diameter, low stone walls, part turf covered. Remains of sub-rectangular possible bothy outside. A retaining wall below terrace on which circle stands. Low dyke, 70m, runs from circle to enclose oval area to W. <1>
This site was not detected during a walkover survey in April 2008. A buffer zone of up to 20 metres is recommended to avoid any accidental damage during site works. <2>
The feature is obvious to see on 2009 APs - NGR adjusted accordingly [IS-L 05/07/2017]. <3>
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Wentworth, R. 1989. 'Survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1989, p.33-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 33-4. 34.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Shaw, C. 08/2008. Loch Maree Regional Scheme: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and walk over survey. Jacobs UK. 18/09/2008. Paper and Digital. Site 34, 7.2.6.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7990 7837 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76466 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.