MHG8287 - Hut circle - Camusnaharry (Camas Na h Airigh 2).
A hut circle at Camusnaharry.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Camusnaharry (Camas Na h Airigh).
Hut circle, c11m diameter, peaty turf walling over stones. <1>
This hut-circle, was recorded during a pre-afforestation survey of An Torr, Badachro by C Dagg in 1998. On fairly flat ground just below a small rocky slope and above the edge of the trees, the hut circle is only visible as a low heather-covered circle with a diameter of 11m. It has no visible entrance. <2>
Renumbered from NG77SE0014B [Jhooper, 29/7/2002].
179258 873217 Camas na h Airigh 2 AMC133: The hut circle was visited by A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. This circular platform enclosed with a ring bank is completely swamped in rank heather and sits on a natural terrace on a slope below a small crag. No stones are visible, and the circular bank seems to consist mainly of turf. The level platform is banked up from surrounding ground to the E. The site has panoramic views over the sealoch to northeast. There is a bowl shaped dip inside the structure. Average internal diameter is 9.85m, external diameter is 12.65m. The bank is 1.2m thick with maximum height 0.4m. No entrance is visible. AMC133 may be linked with AMC117, (see MHG8288) 400m distant and also may have connections with the group around AMC107 (see MHG8279) 600m distant. An Dun, N of Charleston, may have been visible from the site. <3> <4>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
The site was included in a DBA by C Dagg in 2010 for proposed new planting areas around Shieldaig Farm. <5>
Note: NGR adjusted to position as seen on 2009 vertical APs [IS-L 14/06/2017].
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wentworth, R. 1989. 'Survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1989, p.33-4. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 33-4. 34.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg C. 1998. Archaeological Survey of a proposed Woodland Grant Scheme plantation at An Torr, Badachro, Gairloch, Wester Ross. Catherine Dagg. 12/11/1998. Digital.
- <3> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. AMC133.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. AMC133.
- <5> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Dagg C. 2010. Shieldaig Farm, Gairloch, Wester Ross: Proposed New Planting Areas: Archaeological Desk-Based Evaluation. Unaffiliated. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 7925 7323 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.