MHG8313 - Monument, Meann Chnoc
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- COMMEMORATIVE MONUMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The present farmer at Mains of Assynt recalled seeing a circular feature on the summit of Meann Chnoc. The feature appears as a sub-circular turf-covered bank measuring 28m E-W by approx 24m. It is probably contemporary with a relatively recent monumental façade which it encircles. Some sections of the bank are almost certainly illusory, probably spoil from a ditch probably dug for stone in the construction of the monument. There is no clear trace of the feature in the N arc. Visited by OS (JB) 30 November 1976.
The 'relatively recent monumental façade' referred to by the OS would appear to be another of the monuments erected by Sir Hector Munro. Unlike the main well-known Fyrish Monument, it is straight sided. The site is visible on Google Imagery. Known as Little Fyrish, it is visble from the road. <1>-<3>
Photograph of this monument was submitted to the HER from a participant on a Community Timeline course, run by ARCH. <4>
<1> Clark, A, 11/2009, Sir Hector’s Follies (Notes on the Fryish Monuments) (Text/Manuscript). SHG24868.
<2> Carey, G, 2010-2011, Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer (Verbal Communication). SHG24799.
<3> Google, Google Earth (Interactive Resource). SHG24789.
<4> Private individuals, 2010, Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie, Alan Kinghorn (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24858.
- <1> Text/Manuscript: Clark, A. 11/2009. Sir Hector’s Follies (Notes on the Fryish Monuments). Yes.
- <2> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <3> Interactive Resource: Google. Google Earth. Digital.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Alan Kinghorn.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5970 6844 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/76674 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.