MHG8342 - Possible Neolithic Cremation, Kilcoy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CREMATION PIT (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NH55SE 21 5831 5194
Monitoring of the Inverness-Dingwall gas pipeline revealed a bowl-shaped pit 1.2m in diameter by 250mm deep containing calcined bone, coarseware pottery, charcoal and a leaf-shaped arrowhead.
J Wordsworth, 1992. <1>
A series of pits were observed at this location, along the route of the Inverness to Dingwall pipeline. One contained charcoal, prehistoric pottery and a leaf-shaped flint arrowhead.
The finds material shows these to be probably neolithic in date, perhaps contemporary with the better known cairns to the E. The function of the pits is uncertain, but the secondary fills and the stones within pit 25 show they were dug with some care rather than being stone clearance holes. It is possible to argue the finds were deliberately deposited, as flint arrowheads are unlikely to be discarded. However the pottery was non‐descript and not very large fragments, more typical of domestic debris.
The dating of the pottery given in the site gazetteer, but on the context description it is noted as Bronze Age; therefore the date of this record must remain tentative. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Wordsworth, J. 1992. 'Ross and Cromarty District (various parishes)', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1992, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth, J. 11/1992. Inverness - Dingwall British Gas Pipeline 1992: A report on Archaeological Discoveries made on the route of this pipeline from June until October 1992. Wordsworth Archaeological Services. Digital (scanned as PDF). Sites 24, 25, 50, 52, 53.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5831 5193 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- VESSEL (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- LEAF ARROWHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/78004 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.