MHG8380 - St. Monan's Church, Balconie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH66NW 15 61 65.
Not far from Killitiarnan (Kiltearn Church) was the Culdee church of St. Monan's.
R Bain 1899.
Ref. in 1546 to "chaplain of Balkny in the ph. of Kilberne", in 1551 to "the chaplainry of Saint Monan on the lands of Balcony, and to the chaplainry of "St. Monanis" in 1561-6 and 1573; and in 1623 to "the chaplainry or bursary of Balconie named Tomless, with the brewhouse and croft of the same named Brabneris Croft".
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Reg Magni Sig Reg Scott 1984.
No further info. (But see NH66NW 1)
Visited by OS (R D L) 5 May 1963.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Bain, R. 1899. History of the ancient province of Ross. 57.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 25, No. 205.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thomson, J M (ed.). 1984. Registrum Magni Sigilli Regum Scotorum. The Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, AD 1546-1580. Volume 4.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Thomson, J M (ed.). 1984. Registrum Magni Sigilli Regum Scotorum. The Register of the Great Seal of Scotland, AD 1620-1633. Volume 8.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 478-9.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6100 6500 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13657 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.