MHG8407 - Ceann an Locha

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • FARMSTEAD (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • KILN BARN (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH57NE 24 5562 7510
This farmstead is shown abandoned on the 1st ed OS 6" map of Ross-shire (1880,52) and is identified as Kinloch by Roy (1747-55, sheet 26/1). It is situated on hillocks which form part of glacial meltwater terraine between a forestry plantation and River Averon. The farmstead comprises three buildings, a kiln-barn and several small enclosures; there are also a number of ruinous stone dykes which may be coeval with the farmstead.
At the core of farmstead there is an E-W, two-compartment building standing up to 1m in height; midway along S wall it has a bedneuk, which measures 3.5m in external length by 1.75m transversely with an entrance 1m to W. An outshot is appended to N wall. A second two-compartment building is set at right-angles to first on N; its grass-grown rubble footings stand up to 0.35m high and there are also footings of an attached enclosure on W. Some 30m E there is a square enclosure with banks 0.6m high and in between there is a bank which stops at a stone revetment 0.3m high, just short of building with the bedneuk.
Several hollow trackways lead down towards a second knoll to NNE, into which a kiln-barn with walls still up to 2m high has been built. To the W of the kiln-barn the knoll has been hollowed out to a depth of 0.65m, possibly with an entrance on the W. A further 10m to the W there is a two-compartment building; its drystone walls stand about 1m in height and within the E compartment, against the E gable, it has a raised platform 0.25m in height. A sinuous trackway leads from here to the river. On a knoll to the W of the core of the farmstead is a second, larger, scooped out hollow, 1m in depth with an entrance to the S and an internal entrance to one of a pair of appended folds on the N.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 15 November 1989.

Five unroofed buildings are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1880, sheet lii) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1986).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 23 February 1996

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5562 7510 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH57NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish ALNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.