MHG8408 - Taybrandach
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- None recorded
NH57NE 23 5764 7685
This farmstead lies in rough ground 250m NW of Dalreoich Farm. It comprises at least 4 buildings, two enclosures and a number of banks to the N and W.
The main building is situated on a slight eminence towards the bottom of a SW-facing slope. It is an L-shaped structure with rough boulder footings up to 0.6m high and a bedneuk in its S wall. A central drain which runs out through the gable is visible at the W end, indicating a byre at that end of the building. There is a door midway along the S wall and a plinth about 2m wide along the S side of the building. There is an external drain along the N wall, which runs out around the W gable, and a second drain leads off from the E gable.
At right-angles to the main building and 7m NW of it, there is a two-compartment building, built across the slope; at the NNE end of this building there is a path, and beyond it a small building lying on the same axis.
The path leads towards a small polygonal enclosure attached to which are at least one, and probably two, buildings. End-on to the S side of the enclosure there is a well-preserved building with grass-covered stone footings up to 0.5m in height built across the slope. W side of enclosure has been robbed, but rectilinear shape of the footings and a slight terrace suggest presence of a second building.
A second small polygonal enclosure lies 5m S of main building, with well-preserved boulder stone walls still standing up to 0.75m high.
To W of the buildings, in boggy ground, there is a three-sided enclosure with grass-covered banks up to 0.8m in height.
Further enclosure banks run uphill into gorse-covered ground to NE and appear to form part of a field-system whose uphill side is marked by a bank running along contour. This bank is cut through by a trackway which may have run down to farmstead but is obscured by the gorse. Beneath a heap of modern field clearance between the gorse and the improved ground to the E there is a small structure measuring about 2m square. A possible building some 7m in overall length lies to the S of it.
General Roy's map (1747-55,sheet 26/1) shows a settlement called Taybrandrach at this location.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 16 November 1989.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5763 7685 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/68528 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.