MHG8468 - Nigg Parish Church


An early 17th-century church which replaced an earlier church on the same site.

Type and Period (4)

  • CHURCH (Built, 17th Century - 1626 AD to 1626 AD)
  • CHURCH (Renovated, 18th Century - 1725 AD to 1725 AD)
  • CHURCH (Enlarged, 18th Century - 1786 AD to 1786 AD)
  • CHURCH (Alterations, 19th Century - 1864 AD to 1864 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

Canmore description:

NH87SW 5 8045 7171
This parish church, dedicated to St Fiacre, built 1626, renovated 1725, enlarged 1786; Andrew Maitland, alterations, 1864. It is a simple, long T-plan church with main portion E-W and Twing to N. The earliest reference to a church on this site occurs in 1255-6.
OSA 1794; NSA 1845; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; N Macrae 1923; G Hay 1957;
I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1979. <1>-<7>

This church is still in use. The bell is dated 1624 as is oldest dated gravestone in graveyard, which is also still in use. The dedication is not in use, church being known as Nigg Parish Church. Visited by OS (ISS) 25 August 1972.


Heritors Records (HR 361/4 Nigg) Report on Ecclesiastical Buildings of Nigg 1878. New floor inserted 12" higher than previous floor. N gallery to be removed. East and West galleries to be partitioned off to make a more comfortable church. A Maitland & Sons, Architects, Tain. Later reports cover minor repairs.

Exterior photos, planning app 03/881/LBCRC to renovate - HAW 11/2003

The scheduled area was reduced in 03/2004 to cover just the Pictish stone - HAW 12/2004

Site visit 8/2004. Electricians lifting part of the floorboards. The current wooden floor level is about c30-40cm above the old ground surface, this looks to be sandy with old woodworking and other debris on it. The W side of the church has raised floor & pews. Checking through an inspection hatch it was possible to see that timber joists are laid on a short, part mortared, wall - the area visible showed suspiciously well dressed stone blocks in the lowest level - HAW 8/2004

Professor George Henderson advises that the RCAHMS reference above to a dedication to St Fiacre is spurious, the church having been confused with one at Nigg in Aberdeenshire. This church has no recorded dedication. <8> <9>

A rapid photographic survey of the church was carried out in 2005 in connection with repairs and renovations. Some details of the fabric of the church became visible with the removal of small areas of harling and these were photographed. See event record (link at the bottom of this record) for photographs and report. <10>

The Listing description was amended on 09/18/2012. <11>

Sources/Archives (14)



Grid reference Centred NH 8044 7170 (25m by 19m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH87SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish NIGG

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.