MHG8474 - Tarbat Old Parish Church - quern
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A broken trough quern is built into lower part of NW gatepost of churchyard, abutting Tarbat Ness road. Its concave face protrudes.
Visited by OS 20 Septemeber 1972.
Close-Brooks suggests that this, along with other similar examples known in Shetland, other parts of Ross- shire and
Inverness-shire, may be best dated to the Bronze Age (c.2,500BC – 700BC). <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 30.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Close-Brooks, J. 1984. ''Some early querns'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 113 1983, p.282-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 282-9. 288.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9144 8401 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- QUERN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15663 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.