MHG8481 - Portmahomack, Icehouse
An icehouse is first shown on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map. It was demolished in 1994.
Type and Period (1)
- ICEHOUSE (In use, 19th Century to 20th Century - 1860 AD to 1930 AD (between))
- None recorded
Information from a local member of the public. Icehouse is to be demolished by the District Council as it is unsafe. A single photograph (on slide in paper file) was taken by Sally Foster during demolition. <1>
Marked on 2nd ed OS 25" at GR corrected to above. Not marked on 1st edition Ordnance Survey. Icehouse has been part demolished and site cleared. <2>
Demolished in September 1994 by Ross & Cromarty District Council as being unsafe. A photograph in the Highland Sites and Monuments Record shows a small square fronted rubble built icehouse with ashlar block doorway and lintel and covered over with turf. With the information from the Valuation Rolls the icehouse was built between 1896-1900 and was out of use by 1930.
The remains of the icehouse were recorded during a watching brief carried out in parts between 2001 and 2005. Some of the rubble has been used in building a nearby sandstone wall. <3>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9149 8417 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15656 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.