MHG8485 - Portmahomack Harbour
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HARBOUR (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
NH98SW 28 914 846.
ARCHITECT: Thomas Telford (1803-21)
Easter Ross Local Plan, July 1992:P71/7.27. POLICY - The Council will safeguard existing facilities at the harbour for fishing and recreational sailing interests.
J Aitken : 06/06/01.
Thomas Telford, 1813-16 possibly incorporating earlier work; L-plan pier to north with ramped pier to south, both of coursed squared rubble. Consists of a ramped ferry pier [to the S] and an L-plan fishing pier [to the N], both well constructed of coursed rubble. <1><2>
The harbour was used in the filming of a World War II propoganda film, using extras from the local community. Filmed in 1942, and released in 1943, it uses Portmahomack as a Norwegian fishing village under occupation. A photograph was taken illicitly of some of the cast by Mrs MacKay, a 19-year-old Women's Auxiliary Air Force wireless operator at the nearby Tain firing range. <3><4>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Graham, A and Gordon, J. 1988. 'Old harbours in northern and western Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 117 (1987), pp 265-352. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Digital. 284-5, 346.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 15652.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 14092.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): MacKay, R. 1942/1943. War-time Propoganda. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <4> Interactive Resource/Webpage: BBC News. 12/2008. BBC News Website Scotland: Family's secret 'German' picture.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9149 8463 (103m by 137m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14092 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15652 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.