MHG8487 - Southern Warehouse, Harbour Street, Portmahomack
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STOREHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Warehouses, Portmahomack. Two handsome buildings, the older (?17th century) 2-storey, 8-bay with crow-stepped gables, and the other 3-storey, 7-bay, with ball finials on the gables, may well date from Telford's reconstruction of the harbour.
(A two-storey, eight-bay structure with crow-stepped gables and built from rubble masonry. Of note is the external stair in the N gable, now abutted by a later structure (NH98SW 43) and the blocked entrance in the S gable - Hume).
J R Hume 1977.
A number of images and a plan and elevation of the Northern Warehouse are available on Canmore (see link). <1>
Late 17th century, 2-storey, 4-bay warehouse; harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings. 2 doors and 6 small square windows in ground floor; 2 rectangular vents at wallhead. 2 large buttresses at south gable; forestair to 1st floor entrance in north gable, shared with northern warehouse. Small vents cut in single blocks of stone at rear. Crowstepped gables; cavetto skewputts; slate roof; stone ridge.
Built by Cromarty Estate (Earls of Cromarty, Viscount(s) Tarbat) to store grain from estates in Easter Ross. The earlier
girnal is mentioned in later 17th century Cromarty papers held at Castle Leod. In 1798 Portmahomack consisted of "two stone houses for reception of rents in kind and three houses". <2>
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe via the Highland HER Flickr group.<3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Baldwin, J R (ed.). 1986. Firthlands of Ross and Sutherland.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Taylor, A. 02/2010. A Collection of Highland Buildings and Monuments. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Beaton, E. 1986. Late seventeenth and eighteenth century estate girnals in Easter-Ross and South-East Sutherland. SHG1943. 133-52. 133, 136-8, 150; figs. 9.2, 9.3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clough, M. 1986. The Cromartie Estate, 1660-1784: Aspects of trade and organisation. SHG1943. 89-98. 92-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 115, 130.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). Canmore ID 15650.
- <2> Dataset: Historic Scotland. Information Supplementary to the Statutory List (This information has no legal significance). Digital. HB Number 14109.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9155 8464 (11m by 20m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14091 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15650 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.