MHG8491 - Rockfield Castle (Formerly Little Tarrel Castle)
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWER HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- (Alternate Type) CASTLE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Little Tarrel is a small, recently-restored L-plan house, originally built in the mid 16th century; an inscription beneath a first-floor window gives the date 155- ?. Reid (1894) assumes that the missing digit is a 9 (Name Book, however, gives 1550). The building was subsequently sub-divided and modified on more than one occasion; an external forestair was introduced and part of the ground floor was set aside for farming purposes, an alteration that involved the removal of a vault and of an internal stair in an area that later collapsed; but much of the orginal detailing still survives, most notably in the vaulted kitchen and the first-floor chamber above it in the E wing. (See Stell 1986 for plans.)
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1872; F N Reid 1894; G Stell 1986.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 30, No. 259.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Reid, F N. 1894. The Earls of Ross and their descendants. 37-9.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tranter, N. 1962-70. The fortified house in Scotland. Vol. 5, 164.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Stell, G. 1986. Architecture and society in Easter Ross before 1707. SHG1943. 99-132. 121-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 30, 69.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 448-50.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Maclennan, J. 1981. Scot Mag 1981, p.37-9. Scot Mag. 37-9. 37-9.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 9105 8195 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB14099 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15634 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.