MHG8510 - Lighthouse, Keeper's Cottage & Enclosing Wall, Tarbat Ness


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • LIGHTHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

(Location cited as NH 947 876). Tarbat Ness Lighthouse, built 1830 by engineer Robert Stevenson, rebuilt 1892. A tall circular tower on a semicircular one-storey base, with a triangular paned lantern with a domed roof. The corbelled parapet is machicolated. The keepers' houses are of the normal single-storey, flat-roofed variety.
J R Hume 1977.

As originally built (by James Smith of Inverness) the lighthouse used obaque cylindrical shades moved in the vertical plane to display an 'intermittent' or occulting light. Earthquake shocks have been felt at the lighthouse, and the two distinguishing horizontal bands were added in 1915.
R W Munro 1979.

Sources/Archives (4)



Grid reference Centred NH 9469 8755 (80m by 80m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH98NW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish TARBAT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.