MHG8514 - Animal Remains - Morrich More
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Rev. James M. Joass reported the discovery on animal bones "On the Mor'aich Mor, a sandy flat to the east of Tain, when examining some sections recently exposed by draining 4 feet deep". These included the skull of a young ox, several bones of a large deer, one tyne of a palmated stag's horn, and the jaw of a large canine animal. They were said to have lain beneath the moss, and on a natural shellbed. <1>
The bones were later identified as the frontal portion of the skull and horn core of an ox, the anterior part of the lower jaw, leg bones probably of the same ox, and half of the lower jaw of a moderately-sized dog. The deer's tine, which was smooth, compressed, and tapering, measuring about 7 inches long by 2 inches broad at its flattened base, where it was a good deal weathered was identifed as the horn of a rein-deer. <2>
Antler, jaw and leg bone fragments from Morbhaich Mor were acquired by the NMS from Rev. James M. Joass in 1869. Acc. Nos. IR 22- IR 27. <3>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Clutton-Brock and MacGregor, J and A. 1989. 'An end to medieval reindeer in Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 118 1988, p.23-35. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 23-35. 30, No. 4.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Joass, J M. 1868. 'Notes on some northern antiquities', Proc Soc Antiq scot Vol. 6 1864-6, p.386-8. Proc Soc Antiq scot. 386-8. pp. 387.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Smith, A. J.. 1871. 'Notice of Remains of the Rein-deer (Cervus tarandus) found in Ross-shire, Sutherland, and Caithness; with Notes of its occurrence throughout Scotland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 8 1868-70, p.186-222. Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. 186-222. Online. Pp. 186- 188.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IR 22-IR 27.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8300 8399 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- PLANT MACRO REMAINS (Undated)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15327 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.