MHG8520 - Chapel, Newton
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
Chapel (NR) (Remains of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed.,(1907)
Remains of a chapel said to have been erected in 16th century. The walls are now almost at ground level. The surrounding graveyard was used up 1832.
Name Book 1871.
The remains of a chapel measuring 11.8m E-W by 5m with turf-covered walls of 0.7m max height and c1.5m thick. The entrance is marked by a gap towards W end of S wall. The overgrown graveyard is featureless and its boundary wall is scarcely traceable.
Visited by OS (I S S) 6 September 1972.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 27, No. 230.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 29, 98.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8453 8144 (69m by 64m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5463 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15321 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.