MHG8521 - BA Sword, Fendom Sands
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
In NMAS is a leaf-shaped bronze sword, with the hilt chiselled off, 23" long, found at Fendom, Tain. It was purchased in 1924. (Accession No. DL 52)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1925; W Henderson 1938.
(Ewart Park type - Caledonian step 2). Fendom, Ross and Cromarty. Single find. Blade and shoulders of sword. Length 68.3cm, shoulder width 5.63cm, maximum blade width 4.9cm. Thick black patina, esp. towrads hilt. Well cast and very heavy sword, two shoulder rivet holes, none in situ.
C B Burgess and I Colquhoun 1988.
This sword was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned a Late Bronze Age date. <1>
Described in the NMS catalogue as of bronze, leaf shaped with the hilt missing, broad, flat rounded midrib, notched under recasso and rivet holes at base of hilt plate. Under Acc. No. DL 52. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Henderson, W. 1938. 'Scottish late Bronze Age axes and Swords', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 72 1937-8, p.150-77. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 150-77. 172.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 85.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Burgess and Colquhoun, C B and I. 1988. 'The swords of Britain', Prahistoriche Bronzefunde Vol. 4 1988. Prahistoriche Bronzefunde. 101, no. 590.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1925. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 59 1924-5, p.11-18, 71-5, 109-13, 153-7, 196-8, 232-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-18, 71-5, 109-13, 153-. 14.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 125.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. DL 52.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8200 8200 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SWORD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-088-C& (Link to online NMS catalogue database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15320 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-104-088-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.