MHG8522 - Catherine's Cross
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MARKET PLACE (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- MARKET CROSS (Undated)
- None recorded
NH88SW 1 8284 8046.
Catherine's Cross (NR) (Site of) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed. (1906)
Catherine's Cross was at one time situated on a small conical mound, where an annual market was held by people of Tain, but was removed many years ago (ONB 1871).
Crois Caitrion may have been a girth cross of Tain (Watson 1904).
An inquest of 1439 (copy in burgh records (info from municipal corp records)) refers to the girth between four crosses which marked the four corners (OPS 1855).
Name Book 1871; W J Watson 1904; Orig Paroch Scot 1855.
The site of Catherine's Cross appears to be a natural mound, covered with dense whin bushes.
Visited by OS (J B) 21 September 1977.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 29, 95 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3360.
OPS, 1855, Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland, 428 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG342.
Watson, W J, 1904, Place names of Ross and Cromarty, 33 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2917.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 36, No. 343 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 36, No. 343.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 33.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 29, 95.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 428.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8284 8046 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15319 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.