MHG8549 - Cadboll Mount
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FORMAL GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Cadboll Mount (NAT) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
A tumulus known as Cadbollmount stands on estate of Geanies, just above 250' contour line and some 700 yards from NW coastline of Moray Firth. It is truncated cone c95' idiameter at the base, with a flattish top 10' idiameter. It is 20' high and appears to be built of earth and clay mixed with stones (Davidson 1948).
Cadboll Mount is traditionally supposed to have been erected c. 1770 by Laird of Cadboll to obstruct view from Geanies House towards lands of Cadboll (ONB 1872).
Name Book 1872; J M Davidson 1948.
Generally as described by Davidson, this artificial mound appears to be a folly and not a tumulus.
Visited by OS (ISS) 5 September 1964.
This garden mount was built before 1760 in form of a pyramid. It measures 29m square at base and stands 6m high.
R Pococke 1887; RCAHMS 1979, Visited September 1977.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 11, 27 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3341.
Kemp, D W (ed.), 1887, Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760, 173 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2624.
Davidson, J M, 1948, 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33, p 25; illust. (Text/Publication/Article). SHG52.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 36, No. 339 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Kemp, D W (ed.). 1887. Tours in Scotland 1747, 1750, 1760. 173.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 36, No. 339.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 11, 27.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 25; illust..
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8894 7903 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15257 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.