MHG8552 - St. Mary's Chapel, Cadbollmount
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1058 AD to 1559 AD)
- None recorded
NH87NE 2 8833 7918.
(NH 8833 7912) St. Mary's Chapel (NR) (Remains of)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
St. Mary's Chapel is situated within clump of trees at Cadbollmount c50 yards W of Cadbollmount farm. The site has been utilised as a dump for farm debris and no trace of chapel site can now be seen (Davidson 1948). Chapel of St. Mary at 'Cathabul' is mentioned 1529 (Info from Balnagown Charters). This is probably small chapel outlines of which are still to be seen amid a clump of trees in a field named Baleachan (Hector's Town) of Farm of Cadboll Mound fo named Hill of Geanies (note by W M Murray).
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; J M Davidson 1948.<1><2>
No trace of chapel; the site is still being used as a dump.
Visited by OS (I S S) 5 September 1972.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 25, No. 210.
- <1> Text/Publication/Monograph: OPS. 1855. Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland. 2/2. 434.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1948. 'A miscellany of antiquities in Easter Ross and Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 80 (1945-46), pp 25-33. p 27.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8833 7918 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15254 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.