MHG8626 - Chambered cairn - Scotsburn House
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Large circular cairn. Described as Cairn- Human remains found here in 1865 on 1st ed OS (may not be the case - see below - IS-L 06/03/2018].
NH77NW 7 7153 7618.
The remains of a chambered cairn situated on a slight knoll near upper edge of a field at 400' above sea level. Only a few stones indicate former existence of a cairn and its size is uncertain. A few orthostats are all that remains. On SE side a pair of boulders set 2'9" apart were probably the portal stones at entrance to the passage. The top of a stone which seems to have formed inner end of N wall of the passage is visible. To NW and partly overhanging it, lies a displaced stone 8'9" long x 3'6" in greatest width which has almost certainly been a lintel. Behind this again, 2 slabs remain, one on each side of the chamber, the larger on SW side is 4'8" long and is exposed to a height of 2' on the SW side.
A S Henshall 1972, visited 22 September 1967.
As described. Visited by OS (R D L) 20 May 1963.
Surveyed at 1/2500 (OSFI: SP: 16.7.1973)
The cairn was Scheduled in 1975.
GR corrected to above to cover SAM - HAW 12/2004
The Scheduling was amended by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017. <1>
NOTE: The 1st and 2nd Edition maps do not actually show this site at this location. On those maps a cairn at which human remains were found is shown to the southwest where the known dun, broch and/or Atlantic roundhouse is located (see MHG8627). It is possible that the human remains were found at the latter site as burials are known from similar site elsewhere.
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to location as shown on OS MasterMap. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 21.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1972. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 2. 2. Paper (Original). 568, ROS 46.
- <1> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM3750 Scotsburn House, chambered cairn 400m NNW of Scotsburn Bridge. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7152 7619 (28m by 28m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3750 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14579 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.