MHG8629 - Cemetery, Cist w finds etc, Scotsburn House
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
GR corrected to area of gravel pits where the cist is indicated as being found, Urn containing burnt ashes was to S at 272902 876021. 1st ed OS 25" - HAW 5/2004 -
NH77NW 4 728 760.
(NH 7288 7603) Cist containing Bones and Ashes found AD 1837 (NAT)
(NH 7289 7602) Urn containing Bones and Ashes found AD 1837 (NAT)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
On 10th February 1960, Dr McKenzie and Professor Lockart, Dept. of Anatomy, Marischal College, Aberdeen, examined a short stone cist at NH 7288 7602, near Scotsburn House, Kildary, Ross. The bones in cist indicate a possibly female skeleton. There have been numerous finds of skeletal remains in this neighbourhood.
A cist with beaker and bones were found in same spot in 1837. Info contained in letter from Prof R W Lockhart to OS 29 2 1960.
The ONB (1873) adds nothing to published descriptions beyond stating that a portion of urn was in possession of John Mackay of Scotsburn.
Name Book 1873.
There are no remains of these cists. Mr Durham of Scotsburn House confirmed siting given for 1960 find.
Visited by OS (R D L) 20 May 1963.
No trace of skeletal remains in Aberdeen University.
RCAHMS 1979, visited February 1978.
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 16, No. 112.
- --- SHG3356 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 25, 40.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7289 7603 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
- VESSEL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14576 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.