MHG8640 - Long Cairn, Lamington Park
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH77NW 2 7473 7800.
(NH 7474 7799) Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed.(1907)
A Long Cairn of bare stones, remaining to a depth of 3 or 4ft, occupies most of a natural mound and measures 96ft along the NW-SE axis, 62ft wide at SE and narrowing to 48ft at NW end.
V G Childe 1944; A S Henshall 1963, visited 6 July 1958. <1><2>
Generally as described above, this long cairn has a max height of 3m. The sides of the cairn are heather covered while the top where the stones are fully exposed, is fairly level. There is no sign of a chamber or other features.
Visited by OS (R D L) 8 May 1963.
Re-scheduled by Historic Scotland, 11/03/02.
J Aikten : 16/05/02.
Management plan produced for the cairn. The monument comprises a long cairn approx 30m long by 15m wide with a height of around 3m. There are no indications ofchambers or other structures so the site may be relatively undisturbed.
The cairn is situated on top of a natural mound within a Forest Enterprise plantation. The scheduled area is an oval 60m NW-SE by40m SW-NE, and includes the cairn and an area around it in which evidence relating to its construction and use may survive. <3>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 28.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 30.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 356, ROS 40.
- <3> Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. Lamington Park, Long Cairn. Digital (scanned as PDF).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7472 7800 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3129 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14563 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.