MHG8644 - Cup markings, Torran Dubh

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CUP MARKED STONE (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH78SW 9 71 84.
On a knoll neighbouring Torran Dubh lay many stones and small slabs of sandstone, blackened by fire. One of these had on one side a single cup roughly picked out.
J M Joass 1868.

Not located; no further information.
Visited by OS (R D L) 15 May 1963.


Joass, J M, 1868, 'Notice of the discovery of cists containing urns and burned bones at Torran Dubh, near Tain', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 6 1864-6, p.418-19, 419 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1270.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 18, No. 127 (Text/Report). SHG2670.

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7100 8399 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH78SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish EDDERTON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.