MHG8646 - Edderton Mains
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH78SW 6 7168 8380 and 7156 8417.
(NH 7156 8417) Edderton (NAT)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Part of Edderton House is very old and is supposed to be built on the site of an ancient fort. D Macrae 1911.
The owner of Edderton does not know age of building but supposes it to be about 200 years old. It is an unpretentious two-storey house. Edderton Mains (NH 7168 8380), under the same ownership, was largely demolished c12 years ago. It is now mostly an amorphous heap of rubble but where remaining walls are exposed they are seen to contain many very large stones of irregular shape & are up to 1m thick. It would seem that SE block was oldest part of this building and at W end of this block is the largest standing fragment of wall 1m thick, 4m above ground level and 1.5m above the surrounding rubble. The owner of the two properties could not confirm the name 'Edderton House' but amongst the older people of the parish the 'Mains' is known as Edderton House. There is no trace of a fort at either house.
Visited by OS (R D L) 15 May 1963.
This house, which was probably of 18th century date, was demolished in about 1951. It may have stood on site of a castle founded by William the Lion in 1179. (see NH78SW 8).
Macrae, D, 1911, 'Notice of some unrecorded sculptured stones at Edderton, Ross-shire, and at Foss, Perthshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.398-402, 400-1 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1264.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 31, No. 269 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Macrae, D. 1911. 'Notice of some unrecorded sculptured stones at Edderton, Ross-shire, and at Foss, Perthshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 45 1910-11, p.398-402. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 398-402. 400-1.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 269.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7162 8383 (29m by 58m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14746 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.