MHG8647 - Chambered Cairn, Red Burn
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH78SW 5 7278 8341.
Cairn (NR) Stone Cist containing an urn found AD 1824.
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
Round Cairn: Orkney-Cromarty type still fairly intact and stands about 13ft high. The diameter is now about 70-75ft, but appears to have been some 10ft greater, south side having been curtailed to make a track and E edge obscured by foundations of buildings. Three thin slabs set on edge exposed on the north side appear to be part of the peristalith, while a large boulder lies to the NE.
A S Henshall 1963; V G Childe 1944.
Generally as described above. A cist or small chamber is still exposed. Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R D L) 18 May 1963.
FE Management Plan received 30/03/01.
J Aitken : 30/03/01.
Childe, V G, 1944, 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38, 30 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG175.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 354, ROS 36; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 9, No. 20 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Childe, V G. 1944. 'An unrecognised group of chambered cairns', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 78 1943-4, p.26-38. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 26-38. 30.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 9, No. 20.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 354, ROS 36; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7278 8342 (67m by 67m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- VESSEL (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:2395 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM2395 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14745 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.