MHG8657 - Long Cairn, Cambuscurrie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED LONG CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH78SW 14 7348 8340.
A long cairn oriented nearly E-W and measuring 61m long by 14m broad across the straight E end, narrowing to 7m near the centre and c10m broad at the W end. The cairn material has been subject to robbing and other disturbance but there is no sign of a chamber. About two thirds along its length from the E, is a 2m gap in debris which may be original but is more likely modern, possibly where a track has cut it.
Notified by Small (G Small, Head Forester, Morangie, Tain)
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (A A) 6 August 1971.
This Long Cairn stands about 900m SE of Redburn.
RCAHMS 1979, visited November 1978.
Kinnes 1992 cites this as one of four non-Megalithic long barrows in the Highlands, all in SE Sutherland. One near Lairg (MHG11986) is probably a modern spoil heap. None have been excavated. <1>
- --- Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. Red Burn Cottage, Long Cairn 880m SE of. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 7, No. 8.
- <1> Text/Publication: Kinnes, I. A. 1992. Non-Megalithic Long Barrows and Allied Structures in the British Neolithic. British Museum Occasional Paper No. 52: London. British Musuem. Pp. 18, 160.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7349 8339 (110m by 94m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:4763 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM4763 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14733 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.