MHG8666 - Possible site of early medieval settlement, Tain
The possible site of an early settlement pre-dating the medieval settlement that grew around the shrine of St Duthac.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NH78SE 7 78 82
The original site of town of Tain, known as Innerathy, is alleged to have stood close to St. Duthus' chapel (NH78SE1, at NH785822). (See also NH78SE 40.)
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; N Macrae 1923; RCAHMS 1979. <1>-<3>
No further info found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 May 1963.
"Innerathy was the old site of the town of Tain till covered by the sea, near the present mouth of the river." <2>
It is possible that an earlier settlement stood in the Links area close to the site of St Duthac's chapel. This part of the shore would have been an important landing place for shipping but any evidence for this has probably been covered by wind blow or removed by later activity. The morphology of the town, such as the direction of Castle Street (formerly the Common Vennel), records the importance of the shore area to the town as a whole. <4>
<1> MacGibbon and Ross, D and T, 1896-7, The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century, Vol. 2, 537 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2443.
<2> MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 290-1 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.
<3> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 33, No. 296 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<4> Oram, R D, Martin, P F, McKean, C A, Neighbour, T and Cathcart, A, 2009, Historic Tain: Archaeology and development, p 125 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG24619.
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon and Ross, D and T. 1896-7. The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century. Vol. 2, 537.
- <2> Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 290-1.
- <3> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 33, No. 296.
- <4> Text/Publication/Volume: Oram, R D, Martin, P F, McKean, C A, Neighbour, T and Cathcart, A. 2009. Historic Tain: Archaeology and development. Paperback. p 125.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 785 823 (200m by 200m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14725 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.