MHG8668 - Market Cross, Tain

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • MARKET CROSS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

Full Description

NH78SE 5 7800 8212.
Market Cross of Royal Burgh of Tain: On two steps rests a very ancient base stone having notched corners of peculiar form. From this base rises a shaft, rectangular at the top and bottom, and having the angles splayed off between, carrying a capital of carved work, enriched with shields and embattled ornament, forming a seat for a lion holding in its fore-paws a shield with armorial bearings.
J W Small 1900.

The cross was Scheduled in 1962.

NH 7800 8212. This cross as described above, stands in the re-entrant angle at the south corner of the Tolbooth (NH78SE 6). It bears the inscription "Restored in 1895" and it is believed to have originally stood in Market St., (Info from Mr E R Stone, Blarleath, Tain). but this is not certain.
Visited by OS (W D J) 18 May 1963.

The cross was Listed at Category B in 1971.

The market cross lies in the corner of the building. A circular scheduled area as mapped does not therefore cover it - HAW 8/2004

The cross was descheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016, though the Listing at Category B remains.

Sources/Archives (3)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7800 8211 (4m by 4m)
Map sheet NH78SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish TAIN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (2)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.