MHG8677 - Tain Burgh
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURGH (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH78SE 40 78 82
Tain had achieved burgh status by 1524. See also NH78SE 7.
W J Watson 1904; G S Pryde 1965; W F H Nicolaisen 1976; RCAHMS 1979.
BIBLIOGRAPHIC REFERENCE: NMRS LIBRARY
Scottish Field, June 1966, p.26
- --- SHG11458 Image/Photograph(s): Town of Tain from W.. Colour Slide. .
- --- SHG2576 Text/Publication/Volume: Nicolaisen, W F H. 1976. Scottish place names: their study and significance. 190.
- --- SHG2640 Text/Publication/Volume: Pryde, G S. 1965. The burghs of Scotland: a critical list. 24-5, No. 48.
- --- SHG2670 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 267.
- --- SHG2849 Text/Publication/Volume: Tain Official Guide. 1959. Tain: the official guide.
- --- SHG2917 Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 32-3.
- --- SHG3022 Text/Publication/Article: James Urquhart, F.S.A., S.C.O.T.. 1896. 'Preliminary notice of the seals of the royal burghs of Scotland.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 30 1896, p.253-66. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 253-66. 253-66.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7800 8200 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14714 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.