MHG8699 - Tain Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CASTLE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The remains found at the ‘Railway Hotel’ could be associated with prebendary lodgings. The site at Cramond Brae (NH 7209 8212) seems a more likely candidate.
NH78SE 2 7805 8214.
(Name at NH 7811 8216) Tain Castle (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)
The last traces of castle were removed from this site about 1820. There is no account of it earlier than 16th century. It may have been official residence of hereditary bailies of Tain.
Name Book 1871.
Local enquiries indicate its suspected position as being, or having been, where the "Railway Hotel" now stands at NH 7805 8214. From time to time during road repairs etc within area, excavations have exposed underground passages (now sealed) extending from grounds of St. Duthus church. These are suspected to have connected with the castle, but definite evidence is lacking.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 18 May 1963.
Motte noted at NH 789 842 [evidently incorrect location - may refer to earlier phases of Tain Castle].
P A Yeoman 1988.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 29, 25 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3360.
RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 31, No. 265 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
Yeoman, P A, 1988, 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33, 131, no. 98 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1131.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Yeoman, P A. 1988. 'Mottes in Northeast Scotland', Scot Archaeol Rev Vol. 5 1988, p.125-33. Scot Archaeol Rev. 125-33. 131, no. 98.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 31, No. 265.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 29, 25.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7809 8215 (79m by 77m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14691 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.