MHG8712 - Possible Henge - Scotsburn House
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- (Alternate Type) HENGE? (Undated)
- None recorded
About 30m N of chambered cairn noted on NH77NW 7 there is a circular enclosure which measures c 20m in diameter over a low bank 3m in thickness. Immediately inside the bank there are traces of what may be a shallow ditch. Visited 1978. <1>
The enclosure at NH 7153 7621 is as described above. It is ill-defined, but the inner ditch appears to be 3m wide and 0.1m deep. A 3.m wide gap in WSW may be an entrance or possibly later mutilation. The enclosure superficially resembles some hengiform sites, but the remains are too poorly defined for certain classification.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (J B) 23 February 1981.
The site was visited by Roland Spencer-Jones of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society on the 18th of December 2013. At the time of this visit the site was almost indistinguishable from the vegetation surrounding it. There was a faint suggestion of a bank remaining on the eastern side. However, it would appear that this site has almost completely disappeared. <2>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to buffer area as shown on OS MasterMap. <3>
<1> RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 24, No. 200 (Text/Report). SHG2670.
<2> Spencer-Jones, R., 2013, Site visit to possible henge at Scotsburn House (Text/Correspondence). SHG26237.
<3> Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Mastermap (Image/Map). SHG23361.
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 24, No. 200.
- <2> Text/Correspondence: Spencer-Jones, R.. 2013. Site visit to possible henge at Scotsburn House. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Yes.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7153 7621 (24m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||LOGIE EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14556 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.