MHG877 - Chapel, Achscoriclate
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
(ND 0814 4428) St Bridget's Chapel (NR) (rems of)
(ND 0810 4434) Well (NR)
OS 6" map, (1962)
A structureless heap of stones is said to be ruins of of Chapel of St Bridget. It is situated about 100 yds NE of Achscoraclate. A short distance NNW of ruins is a so-called holy well, still in use.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
At this site is a large mound of earth and stones, some 0.7m high, on top of which are a number of large stones set on edge. The stones appear to outline a rectangular structure with a rounded W end, measuring 10.6m E-W by 7.5m transversely. Within this setting is a mutilated area with several large stones scattered about. The well is about 80m NNW of this; it is still in use.
Visited by OS (W D J) 15 April 1961.
The supposed remains of St Bridget's Chapel are as described by previous field investigator. The structure surmounting mound cannot be identified as a chapel; those stones which are exposed and in situ are not typical of such a structure being in most cases set on edge, neither do they conform to any known, recognisable pattern. No historical evidence is obtainable in local libraries; the nearby croft of Achscoriclate is deserted and no one could be found in locality with a knowledge of area.
The well is as described, and usable.
Revised at 1:10560. Visited by OS (N K B) 28 April 1982.
George Watson, Caithness Chapel Sites (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3470.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 47, No. 168 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Myatt, L J, 1975, 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61, 55, 56 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1654.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1975. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Halkirk Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1975, p.55-61. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 55-61. 55, 56.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 47, No. 168.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0813 4428 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7611 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.