MHG8778 - St. Moluag's Church, Cromarty
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD to 1559 AD)
- CEMETERY (Undated)
- None recorded
NH76NE 9 791 675.
The site of a former church and churchyard of Cromarty, now covered by sea, is marked by 'the Kirkstanes' below the Fishertown. About 1815, the beach below town was covered with human bones and hewn stones from this graveyard. They were buried in present church-yard. According to Macrae a former church of Cromarty, possibly this one, was dedicated to St. Moluag (ob. 592), but Simpson does not note it. The present church (NH76NE 10) was probably built in 1593.
G Mackenzie 1958; H Miller 1835; N Macrae 1923; W D Simpson 1935.
There is no trace of either church or churchyard. Mr James Hogg (High Street, Cromarty) indicated the former area of the Kirkstanes, now covered by the sea, at NH 791 675.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 January 1966.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mackenzie, G. 1958. Cromarty official guide. 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacRae, N. 1923. The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years. 290.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Miller, H. 1835. Scenes and legends of the north of Scotland, or the traditional history of Cromarty. 70-1.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Simpson, W D. 1935. The Celtic church in Scotland: a study of its penetration lines and art relationships. fig. 10.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7909 6750 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14485 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.