MHG8806 - Mercat Cross (Court House), Church Street, Cromarty
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- MARKET CROSS (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
NH76NE 3 7898 6739 moved from 7923 6723.
(NH 7898 6739) Cromarty Market Cross, which now stands in front of the court-house, bears the date 1578. It formerly stood at The Causeway (NH 7932 6723). It is 8' high and has been broken several times. Its predecessor is mentioned in 1467.
Name Book 1875; W M Mackenzie 1924; G Mackenzie 1958.
Cromarty Market Cross consists of a square base of three steps, probably 18th century, upon which the original base and upper half of the shaft have been set. The date 1578 can still be seen on the head of the cross. Mr James Hogg (High Street, Cromarty) pointed out its original position against the wall of an outbuilding in The Causeway at NH 7932 6723. Surveyed at 1:2500 (original and present positions)
Visited by OS (N K B) 27 January 1966.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Cromarty Courthouse.. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mackenzie, G. 1958. Cromarty official guide. 6.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mackenzie, W M. 1924. The Royal Burgh of Cromarty and the breaking of the burgh. 8, 13.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 8, 17.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7898 6739 (4m by 4m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB23586 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14452 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.