MHG8816 - Cromarty Castle, cists
No summary available.
Type and Period (3)
- CEMETERY (Early Bronze Age to Early Medieval - 2400 BC? to 1057 AD?)
- CIST (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC to 560 AD)
- CIST (Early Bronze Age to Early Medieval - 2400 BC? to 1057 AD?)
- None recorded
NH76NE 2.1 7924 6710.
In 1772, during the demolition of the former Cromarty Castle, a cemetery was discovered comprising cremations in urns protected by stone settings, and cists containing inhumations. No traces remain.
OSA 1794; RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1979.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 12, 258-9.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 12, No. 53.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7924 6710 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- VESSEL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14440 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)