MHG8829 - St. Bennet's Chapel & Well, Cromarty

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TROUGH (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Well recorded under sepatrate number NH78NE0508 - HAW 7/2004

Thumbnail photo shows chapel and well site, from beach.
Site visited and photographed by Estelle Quick, 19/9/03. The Highland Archaeology Challenge. See Assoc. Docs. File.
J Aitken : 22/1/03

NH76NE 1 7913 6508 and 7923 6502.
St Bennet's Chapel (NR) (Site of), (NH 7923 6502) St Bennet's Well (NR) OS 6" map, (1959)

Nothing is known of this chapel. Pullan suggests that dedication is to St Benedict of Nursia (480 - 543) but situation of chapel, on a cliff beside sea, is more suggestive of Celtic foundation.
St Bennet's Well is a rag-well at which offerings were still being left in 1935. L Pulan 1927; M D Hiley 1935.

There is no trace and no local knowledge of St Bennet's Chapel. St Bennet's Well, a natural spring, is still used as a rag-well.
Visited by OS (N K B) 28 January 1966.

Traces of heap of stones and a grassy mound remained of chapel 1834. A stone trough named the "Fairy's Cradle" stood nearby until about 1745 when it was destroyed.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; H Miller 1835

This has been a desk assessment area.
J Wordsworth, SSSIs, Scottish Natural Heritage, 1993

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7912 6508 (40m by 40m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH76NE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish CROMARTY

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.