MHG8837 - Kincurdie Chapel (Kincurdy) - Rosemarkie
Kincurdie Chapel, (Kincurdy) near Rosemarkie
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Early Medieval to 19th Century - 561 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NH75NW 8 73 58.
The Chapel of Kincurdie is mentioned in 1615 and 1641. <1>
In general area of Kincurdie NH7357/8 <2>
Local knowledge indicates the site of the early chapel to be close to and possibly under Kincurdie House with a burial ground associated to the east at Chapel Field. <3> NGR moved to 'Chapel Field' 24/8/2012
17th century records mention a chapel and chapel-yard standing there, (Chapelfield) and some land east of the drive is still known as Chapel Field. (see MHG61326) "heard tell, too, of a chapel near the top of the driveway leading to Kincurdie house, where the drive skirts the field still known as the Chapel Field, only that chapel was said to have belonged to Curitan, another name for Boniface." Rosemarkie WRI project 2005
Note: Site not visible on aerial photographs so location approximate. (T. Blackie 25/11/19)
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, W J. 1904. Place names of Ross and Cromarty. 130.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 19, No. 115.
- <3> Text/Correspondence: Blackie, T.. 2012. HER Feedback Kincurdie Chapel 23/8/2012. Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 73765 58130 (16m by 16m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14404 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.