MHG8852 - Cist burial, Rosemarkie Old Manse
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Apparently the cist still survives and is left visible within the old piggery (2018)
NH75NW 6 7343 5732.
(NH 7343 5732) Stone Cist containing Human Remains and Urn found AD. 1904 (NAT).
OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)
A short cist - 3' x 2' x 2'6" deep was found, during the digging of a drain, in the grounds of the Manse of Rosemarkie, in the autumn of 1903. It contained unburnt remains with a food-vessel, which was purchased for NMAS ( E.E. 92).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1904; A A Woodham 1956.
- --- SHG2675 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of the Black Isle, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 13, No. 60.
- --- SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. EE 92.
- --- SHG549 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1904. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and articles exhibited', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 38 1903-4, p.11-16, 98-102, 149-51, 252-55, 411-15, 468-75. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 11-16, 98-102, 149-51, 25. 469-70.
- --- SHG72 Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A. A.. 1956. A survey of prehistoric monuments in the Black Isle. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Vol. 88 (1953-55). 65-93. p 92.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7343 5731 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- VESSEL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/14380 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.