MHG8932 - Possible Chambered Cairn - Cnoc Ravoch
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH56SE 18 5575 6120.
On SW shoulder of Crock-ri-Avoch (Cnoc Ravoch NH 557614) Simpson notes a ruined stone circle which is probably same as the circular cairn, 30 paces in diameter and containing 4 short cists described by Robertson (OSA 1791) as lying 800 paces W or SW of 'Clachan Biorach' (NH 56 SE 4). Flint arrowheads, etc, are reported in area 'in abundance'.
J Y Simpson 1868. OSA 1791.
At NH 55756120, overlooking Cromarty Firth at a height of 670ft. OD, there are 3 large slabs, possibly remains of a burial chamber. One is earthfast, placed on edge, and measures 1.9m long, 0.8m high and 0.4m thick; other two are recumbent, one measuring 2.5m long by 1.7m wide and 0.5m thick. They lie approx. central to a stony platform c.20m diameter and 0.5m high around which 5 ?kerb stones can be seen. Though evidence is scant, this is probably remains of a chambered cairn.
Surveyed at 1/2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 16 November 1970.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 18 November 1976.
No change. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS) 3 March 1989.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Simpson, J Y. 1868. 'On ancient sculpturings of cups and concentric rings, etc.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 6 1864-6, p.1-147. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-147. appendix, 46-7.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Sir John Sinclair (ed.). 1791-9. The statistical account of Scotland, drawn up from the communications of the ministers of the different parishes. Vol. 1, 292.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1979. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region. . 11, No. 46.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5575 6120 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- ARROWHEAD (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12917 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.