MHG8935 - St. Comgan's Chapel

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
  • CEMETERY (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

Cille a'Choan {NR} (Site of) OS 6"map, (1938)

'Cill Chomhghain' commemorates St. Comgan, active between 700 and 750 AD. The church, with burial-ground which was in use until 19th c., was destroyed by cutting of railway in 1862-3
W J Watson 1926; N Macrae 1923; F H Groome 1901.

No further information. Visited by OS (N K B) 30 June 1965.

St Comgan's Chapel (NR) (site of) OS 1:10,000map, (1971)

No change. Visited by OS (J B) 18 November 1976.


Groome, F H (ed.), 1901, Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland, 286 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2297.


MacRae, N, 1923, The romance of a royal burgh: Dingwall's story of a thousand years, 281 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2489.


Watson, W J, 1926, The history of the Celtic place-names of Scotland: being the Rhind lectures on archaeology (expanded) delivered in 1916, 281, 338 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2918.


RCAHMS, 1979, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Easter Ross, Ross and Cromarty District, Highland Region, 27, No. 228 (Text/Report). SHG2670.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 5623 6043 (200m by 200m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH56SE
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KILTEARN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.