MHG8939 - Crannog, Eilean Na Faoileig


No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • CRANNOG (Early Iron Age to 19th Century - 550 BC to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH57SW 3 5326 7039.

'There is a small island near S end of this lake (Loch Glass), where it is said one of the lairds of Fowlis had formerly a summer-house'.
OSA (Rev H Robertson) 1791; R Munro 1882.

The island is 56 feet long by 42 feet wide and is devoid of vegetation. Its shape is somewhat irregular and its sides show no traces of careful masonry. It is in fact a heap of stones, many of them being large boulders. It has the appearance of having been formed, or at any rate having been added to, in comparatively recent times. A tradition exists that island was built about 150 years ago by order of the laird of Foulis to serve as a protection for water-fowl. The building was entrusted to Foulis forester, Seumas Ban from whose great-grandson we have information
H Fraser 1921.

NH 532 704. At present level of the water in Loch Glass island is a sub-circle of stones c 8m diameter and c 1m high. It is as described by Fraser.
Visited by OS (E G C) 5 May 1963.

(NH 5326 7039) Eilean na Faoileag (NAT). OS 6"map, (1968).

No change. Access could not be gained to island.
Visited by OS (J B) 19 November 1976.

Sources/Archives (3)



Grid reference Centred NH 5326 7039 (40m by 40m) (2 map features)
Map sheet NH57SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish KILTEARN

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.