MHG8944 - Bronze Age Axe, Culbin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Found after first ploughing of boggy plateau. Axe is in Dingwall Museum, on loan.
A A Woodham 1986. <1>
Researched by Patirica Strack for Community Timelines course, run by ARCH. The axehead dates to 1900-1700 BC (pers. Comm. Trevor Cowie, NMS). Description on label in Dingwall Museum, written by A.A. Woodham reads: 'The axe was cast in a stone mould and exhibits 12 concentric cast ridges enclosing two zones which have been decorated by means of a metal punch. The chevron pattern is not easy to see…' The closest parallel is an axehead from Rosskeen, now in the Ashmolean Museum (see MHG8142). Photographs of the axe were submitted to the HER. <2>-<3>
This axehead was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock& District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. It was assigned an Early Bronze Age date. <4>
Th axehead is on loan to Dingwall Museum (2019). <5>
- <1> SHG495 Text/Publication/Article: Woodham, A A. 1986. 'Culbin (Kiltearn p) Decorated crescentic-bladed flanged bronze axe', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1986, p.16. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 16. 16.
- <2> SHG24857 Collection/Catalogue/Gazetteer: ARCH and Invidual Participants. 08/2010. Additional information on a number of sites, contributed by participants in ARCH Community Timeline Courses in Evanton and Golspie. Yes. Digital. Patricia Strack.
- <3> SHG24858 Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. S. Kruse / ARCH.
- <4> SHG28012 Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 3.
- <5> SHG28499 Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection at Dingwall Museum.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5670 6369 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- AXEHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/12910 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.